AWS IoT EduKit
Reinventing Healthy Spaces Hackathon: Get hands-on and build an open source healthy spaces solution with AWS IoT EduKit. Submit your project by September 19, 2021 for a chance to win prizes totaling $10,000.
Learn more and participate.
AWS IoT EduKit is an easy way to learn how to build IoT applications using AWS services through a prescriptive learning program. AWS IoT EduKit helps developers – from students to experienced
engineers and professionals – receive hands-on experience building end-to-end IoT applications by combining a reference hardware kit with a set of easy to follow guides and example code.
Benefits of AWS IoT EduKit
Simplified hardware selection
- AWS IoT EduKit’s reference hardware kit – made and sold by our manufacturing partner, M5Stack – is packed with onboard features to enable a multitude of IoT applications out of the box Developers can broaden their capabilities to cover additional use-cases with plug & play expansion options.
- The reference hardware kit provides powerful and secure hardware to build a range of IoT applications (entry level to advanced/professional) at an entry level price tag. It is powered by an Espressif ESP32 microcontroller unit (MCU), coupled with a Microchip ATECC608 Trust&GO secure element. It is Alexa capable, comes with multiple on-board peripherals, a wide range of separately available expansion modules for additional connectivity options (e.g. LoRaWAN, NB-IoT, LTE) and plug & play grove-connector peripherals (e.g. sensors, actuators) to cover a wider breadth of use-cases.
Supports a wide range of software frameworks
- AWS IoT EduKit’s reference hardware supports a wide range of application frameworks (e.g. FreeRTOS, Arduino, MicroPython) which allows developers to code in the language of their choice and progress in building cloud connected embedded applications on a single hardware platform.
- AWS IoT EduKit simplifies on-boarding to AWS IoT through through Espressif’s RainMaker platform and PlatformIO development platform. The Espressif RainMaker platform allows you to control the reference hardware kit and control the smart home application without an AWS account. The PlatformIO development platform simplifies embedded development to quickly view, edit, and flash code.
Easy access to Sample Code
- AWS IoT EduKit provides up-to-date content and example code to the most common IoT solutions.
- Through AWS IoT EduKit tutorials, developers can access a variety of free content to gain expertise in building and managing IoT applications using AWS services.
How it works
To get started, purchase your reference hardware kit from Amazon.com (US), M5Stack store (CN/Global), Digi-Key (AMER/Global), Switch Science (JP), or Distrelec (EU).
Once you receive the hardware kit, access the getting started tutorial and follow the steps in the prerequisite section to install the RainMaker Agent firmware on the device and the Espressif RainMaker Mobile App on your mobile phone. The Espressif RainMaker Mobile App will allow you to control the AWS IoT EduKit reference hardware and connect to AWS IoT. Next, you can select from a list of free projects available on AWS IoT EduKit’s website. Start with building a basic connected home application and progress over time to running a machine learning model with Amazon SageMaker Autopilot or building a Voice Assisted Smart Home application with Alexa Voice Service Integration for AWS IoT (AFI). To learn more about the hardware specifications, please visit the M5Stack Docs or Partner Device Catalog.